Thanks to Joe Urbanski for a thought-provoking, paradigm shifting, and above all - engaging workshop today as part of our Summer of Learnin 2018. Thanks to Drexel's Goodwin College of Professional Studies for hosting us and for ATD Philadelphia for the partnership in putting the event on. A quick highlight of Joe's main takeaways:
1. Culture is important. CULT ture that is. (Or as they say in the military & business - culture eats strategy for breakfast)
2. There of lots of ways to make "mandatory training" feel engaging and useful.
3. A lot of "non-mandatory training" - well, feels like it's mandatory.
4. You can give your participants a choice - to be engaged or to be a prisoner. But that choice is yours to make first.
5. If you want to make people want to take training you need to learn what motivates each one of them.
6. We learn through discovery. We remember through reinforcement and repetition.
7. Content? No, CONTEXT is king in training.
8. Training & Facilitating don't mean the same thing.
Thanks also to everyone that came out and had a blast alongside us and Joe.